Above all else, our universal goal is to build a just and healthy society that works equally well for everyone.
As a democratic, people-powered movement, all work of the AALF is done through convenings, work groups, and action teams. Meeting and being together is how we build social capital and communal power.
Our network creates the space for African Americans to create a shared agenda for solving our community’s critical issues. AALF members come from all walks of life to contribute their insight each month by participating in any way that suits their interests. From volunteering in support of our growing movement, to joining workgroups that focus on economic development, education, health, or family and cultual wellness; there is space for everyone.
We focus on improving the economic health of communities through public and private partnerships that creates opportunities for underserved communities where business opportunities have been denied, unemployment is high, affordable housing is scare and chronic homelessness has reached unacceptable levels – all critical factors in creating healthy, sustainable communities in the Twin Cities.
Who we are:
We are a movement of more than 1,200 African American leaders in the Twin Cities.
- We have united to address challenges, create solutions, and build a vibrant and sustainable community.
- We are leaders in every field: business, nonprofits, government, education, health, religion, politics, philanthropy, the arts, and grassroots organizing.
- We are united in our belief that we can do more together than apart.
- We understand, value, and leverage “the power of the collective” to move our community forward.
What we do:
We continuosly convene community members. We find ways to collaborate for social change. We champion policies and practices that support strong black families.
- We are building a new infrastructure for organizing, working together, shaping an urban agenda, and uplifting our community.
- We sponsor serious dialogue and collective action to advance the Twin Cities’ African American community and address critical issues.
- We work to solve community problems in a unified way, drawing many people together to speak a common language and align their efforts.
- We bring thinkers, innovators, and doers around one table to create solutions together.
- We encourage new, effective partnerships and collaborations.
- We provide a safe, positive place where people can align to get things done.
- We make our voices heard to create the future we want.
The AALF convenings are our drivers for change. They bring together innovators, thinkers, and doers to develop solutions to support family resiliency in the black community. Join us today!