On August 3, 2017, AALF celebrated our Annual Dinner with powerful networking, conversations, community awards, and an inspiring message by our keynote speaker Kevin Warren of the Minnesota Vikings.
A welcome message for the 2016 Annual AALF Forum given by our board co-chairs and executive director.
A video on who AALF is.
AALF’s 5 Point Program to Address Economic Inequality
AALF-TC’s purpose in highlighting this issue today is to call for concrete efforts in five specific areas — that don’t require additional research to start, can be implemented within and across sectors, and don’t wait for our problems to fix themselves:
- Hiring practices
- Support of small and African American led businesses, broader short and long term strategies to end economic disparities, philanthropic support, and in collaboratively monitoring and reporting our progress. I’ll briefly expand on each of these five areas.
Baraza: A Black Woman’s Health Gathering!
We are also committed to raising community awareness of social determinants of health, and attention to their impacts. Social determinants of health include culture, social class, income and wealth, adequacy of housing, educational opportunity, environment, civic engagement/social connectedness, transportation and childhood development.
AALF Health and Wellness priorities are:
- Promote and advance culturally sensitivity, trauma-informed, mental healthcare
- Promote preventive healthcare and healthy lifestyles
- Promote access to healthy food and environment
- Promote the prevention of menthol tobacco use in the black community.