The AALF Annual Dinner was a huge success!
This year’s theme CREATING ASSETS AND WEALTH IN OUR COMMUNITY builds on AALF’s consistent history of progress, change and growth through strategic partnerships in the public and private sectors. The belief is based on equity and economic opportunities for all members of society supporting AALF’s growth initiatives in job creation, economic empowerment, reducing poverty and creating affordable housing.
On August 3, 2017, AALF celebrated our Annual Dinner with powerful networking, conversations, community awards, and an inspiring message by our keynote speaker Kevin Warren of the Minnesota Vikings.
A welcome message for the 2016 Annual AALF Forum given by our board co-chairs and executive director.
African American Leadership Forum
- Public and Private Employment Creation
- African-American Businesses in Minnesota. Ensuring they have equal access to public and private contracts
- Work with Minnesota Legislatures and Governor on short and long-term strategies to end economic disparities
- Hold Minnesota-based philanthropies, private, corporate and community foundations accountable in prioritizing these goals and devoting resources to African American led organizations working toward effective solutions to end this dilemma.
- AALF-TC calls on public, private and philanthropic enterprises to partner with African American organizations
AALF’s 5 Point Program to Address Economic Inequality
AALF-TC’s purpose in highlighting this issue today is to call for concrete efforts in five specific areas — that don’t require additional research to start, can be implemented within and across sectors, and don’t wait for our problems to fix themselves:
- Hiring practices
- Support of small and African American led businesses, broader short and long term strategies to end economic disparities, philanthropic support, and in collaboratively monitoring and reporting our progress. I’ll briefly expand on each of these five areas.
Baraza: A Black Woman’s Health Gathering!
We are also committed to raising community awareness of social determinants of health, and attention to their impacts. Social determinants of health include culture, social class, income and wealth, adequacy of housing, educational opportunity, environment, civic engagement/social connectedness, transportation and childhood development.
AALF Health and Wellness priorities are:
- Promote and advance culturally sensitivity, trauma-informed, mental healthcare
- Promote preventive healthcare and healthy lifestyles
- Promote access to healthy food and environment
- Promote the prevention of menthol tobacco use in the black community.